Monday, March 23, 2015

The Scary Grey Bearded God




People have thrown all kinds of images of God over the years. We even have cross in jewellery to symbolise a myriad of ways of how our devotion can be fashioned out. I have no problem with that. My biggest problem at the present moment is not even how we represent God and mostly on the portrayal of God being this big grey bearded man sitting on a gold arm chair ready to zap humans at any moment.

Now I have been in the church since I walked in a church with my mom, I in her belly and she accepting Jesus Christ as her lord and saviour, about eight years later I would do the same. You might say I was rather young to be doing that, committing to such at my age however he is all I had and still is this is my reality. The reason I brought my narrative through is so that you would know a bit of background. But he was never and never has been scary or draconian. He is referred to as a “jealous” God in the bible but he also says; “test me and see that I am not good” and “ask and you shall receive”. The bible (if I may use it as a referral here) also says his mercies are new every morning.

But let us take away all the things that make us assume warm and fuzzy feelings about him, or the debate that why do bad things happen to good people. If we are to look at ourselves and see that as much as our lives are hard we still have what we have and he has not zapped us or thrown balls of fire to burn us all up then surely he can’t be a nasty God? I have used scenarios and words very carefully in this post because I know who I am talking about and I have the assurance of his existence. I am saying we have gone for too long torturing ourselves with all the Sunday school stories adults created to scare us of God. His power and magnitude is something to be feared and revered but not he, his love is real and unconditional. There it is that is all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment